Friday, February 20, 2009

Never talk to strangers!!

So, I'm sitting here watching my two kids role-play about strangers. Apparently, Catalina learned about strangers at school today and felt compelled to instruct her brother upon her return home. I had to write about it because honestly, I am cracking up laughing watching this show. The only thing I'm missing is popcorn.

Catalina has been talking to Branden about strangers all day; I know this because he's thrown comments out like: "Mom, you say no to strangers!" or "Don't ever go in a car with stranger!" The climax of the events is finally happening and I'm on the edge of my seat. 

I am very proud of Catalina. Recently, she's been taking on the responsibility to "school" her brother. Of course, this doesn't negate or replace what mom and dad are doing, but none the less, it's very cute. She's his mentor. She has this system in place to where she teaches Branden his letters and numbers, behavior, science, and related pre-school topics. In fact, she has a grading system in place in which I have to sign a daily progress report to comply with her teaching methods. Their discourse is actually very meaningful and educational. 

Okay, back to the stranger story:
Just a second ago, I witnessed Catalina coming down the stairs in the most extravagent outfit ever put together - even for her!! She's usually a little flamboyant when she dresses herself, but this takes the cake. Her prudent antics are actually working in this case. She's dressed in a lime green shirt, blue biker shorts, purple polka-dot leg warmers, barettes all over her hair, rainbow socks, black high heel shoes, a sequenced bracelet, a silver jeweled crown, pink heart-shaped sunglasses, and a red purse. Her character: The Stranger

She is taking Branden through a scene where she has a movie he really wants to see in her car. She tells him that if he comes in the car with her, she will give it to him for free. When Branden tries to oblige himself, she starts screaming, "I told you that you NEVER, EVER go in a strangers car. Don't you know you can get killed like that? Do you want to be taken away from mommy? No, because they buy you nice things, Branden. Give me a break!"

Branden, of course speechless at the moment, tells her, "But you told me to go in the car, Suga!" He really didn't realize he just set himself up for a 10 minute lecture reviewing the facts already taught to him about strangers. This is when she continues the lesson.

"Now, what if I offer to take you to the park. Think about a time when you were mad at mommy because she fussed you. You were punished, no grounded, and you wanted to get off the sidewalk and go play at the park. Here is what you do." Back in character...

Catalina: "Hey little boy, do you want to come play at the park with me?"
Branden: "Yes. I really love the park!"
Catalina: "What's wrong with you Branden? How many times do I have to say the same thing? Ugh!!!! (emphasis added)"
Branden: "But I really want to go to the park Suga."
Catalina: "I'm not Suga, I'm a stranger and I want to take you away from your mommy and kill you."
Branden: "But you're my sister Ca'lina"
Catalina: "I give up. Mom, can you pretend to be a stranger? I'll let you wear my sunglasses!"

So, the lesson is: "Never talk to strangers!" 
My take on the objective: Never try to teach a 3 year old about strangers with a 6 year old dressed in eccentric clothing promising to give him a favorite movie or take him to the park. 

Tomorrow's objective: Make it believable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment